Nina's Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sonnet competition

Hey there. We had a sonnet (kind of poem that Shakespeare invented.) competition a little while ago. There were people that entered from all over the New Zealand and part of Australia into it. There was a senior class and a junior class. I was entered into the junior one. I had written 2 sonnets. The rest of the school had only entered 1. Well the mayor of Stratford and the vice- president of the Shakespeare society came down to our school with good news. Out of about 30 something people 3 of us had been placed! Right,
1st-Koren Drake (Possums)

2nd-Nina Poletti (My Wild Horse)
3rd-Callum Old (Tennis)

Well I thought it was really cool that we got placed! Here’s my 2 sonnets.

My Wild Horse
O, beautiful horses wild and free,
Running fast, jumping high into the air,
And how I wish that you belonged to me,
I could take you into my nice warm care,
But then I would take your freedom from you,
That would be bad; you have lived your wild life,
Taking you from it, you would hate me too,
I let you go, though through my heart, a knife,
But I do not die although I feel pain,
Tears come quick to my eyes but I am glad,
So off you go though the drizzling rain,
Shaking you nice head so, a happy lad,
I watch you with wonder, lovely are thee,
Sorry horse it wasn’t meant to be.

Shakespeare in Love Films
Remember now the play of two sweethearts,
A tragedy by Shakespeare oh so sad,
A play is celebrated by the arts,
A couple met and fell in love like mad,
Juliet and Romeo, ring a bell?
Also think about modern films now,
Most come from Shakespeare, listen I will tell,
A wall between two lovers and is foul,
Usually something bad comes between them,
Sometimes it is family sometimes not,
In love movies families make mayhem,
And most of which is not to be forgot,
So now you know how they are so alike,
How they use Shakespeare to make the films just right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jose Rizal II said...

very good girl. congratulations!

here are some links if you would like to meet the bigtime sonneteers in the world.

http://www.14by14.com/index.html

http://www.sonnets.org/

http://sonnetwriters.com/?page_id=9

best of luck.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home